Thursday, January 10, 2013

Where did my motivation go?

I really enjoy teaching my kids and I enjoy it more when the day goes smoothly.  The main factor in the day is actually not the kids... it's me.  If I am ready and show them outwardly that I'm ready to take the day seriously, they fall in step more easily.  I've been sluggish since the holidays, but have determined to make this an enjoyable experience for us all too.
I've been assured that homeschooling is great and you can just do it any time and be laid back.  Well, you can, but I find the days that are more organized are the best days and the laid back days are really pitiful.  We take for ever to get through our content and then end the day grumpy.  NOT GOOD!  Starting my day in the Word of God is the best for us and then we spend time together doing devotions and the days really go well.
Once the kids have proven they are ready to work, I am more apt to give them fun breaks.  This morning we did mirroring exercises and it was not only good for us, but it is always hilarious to see the way they mirror and comments during the fact.
We are doing 4 day weeks through the first week of February due to family vacations and weekend plans and birthdays and that is really seeming to be great.  I might consider doing a longer school year and 4 day weeks because it is just more freeing.  We'll see.
Tomorrow is the big guy's 10th birthday and he and sis are taking to calling him a "preteen."  Not sure I was ready to hear that.  Happy weekend to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment