Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It is that time of year again!

I am super excited to begin another year in our school, Life Song Academy.  Shaping the life songs of to very unique, very lovable children is not an easy task.  I am challenged daily as I spend time with them.  I am learning that if I expect them to work hard, which I do, then I must work even harder.  Parenting is not very effective when it is done passively.  Neither is home schooling for me.  Sure, they can breeze through their subjects like math and science and language with little assistance from me, but I need to be their coach, mentor, teacher, mother all the time.  Keeping them on task can be frustrating, but it is important!  They need boundaries and deadlines!  I don't remember the exact Proverb, but there is one that starts, "Consider the ant, you sluggard..."  It is from the Bible, but I don't really remember which translation either.  I don't want my kids to be defined as sluggards.
Now, I may sound like I'm overbearing and maybe I really am, but one of my goals this year is to teach them with firm gentleness.  Now that's an oxymoron!  Or is it?  My speech can be quite harsh and I get a little crazy when the kids misbehave... Yes I've stomped my feet a few times, but I don't like when I behave that way.  I hope  that my children's life songs will not be resentful or resistance songs, but will be of strength and Godly character.  Discipline is necessary as is love.  We will find this balance, I know it!
We start full days on Thursday, so breathe in, breathe out.  Never mind that the house is still torn up and we don't have our classroom yet.  We have our supplies and our family!  Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment