Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Curriculum woes

I have not been in this long enough to know a good or bad curriculum.  We have started mostly with A Beka books and I think they would be great starters in K-2, but I want to give my older child a more challenging curriculum.  He is in Bob Jones reading and I like that.  They both use Everyday Mathematics and I think it is fabulous, but I don't have a teacher guide and those alone would be about $300 a year per grade level.  It might be okay for large classrooms to spend that on a teacher guide, but for our home school with 2 students it is a bit pricey.  That is all I've really seen of curriculum because it came with them from their Christian school.
Next year we are changing things up a lot and I am excited.  I am mainly excited because whatever I buy will have teacher guides so I don't have to wonder if I'm teaching them correctly.  I have my wish list for next year all lined up, but don't want to share it yet unless I love it!
Kansas Home School Curriculum Guide is where I started.  I love this because it is not biased.  Most sites that I've viewed have a favorite and don't give credit to others.  I found what I believe will complement my children's learning styles and I have high hopes for next year.  My wish list will cost us less than $1000 total for both kids for the school year (that is less than $500 per child).  I've chosen to mix and match which might be a detriment because many companies use themes to bind all of their subjects together.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment