Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring Break

I pondered what Spring Break would mean to our family.  I almost feel like we're on a perpetual break since starting our school at home.  We went to a wedding over the weekend, but financially we are not able to do a long vacation this week.  So we are sleeping in and enjoying ourselves.  The kids got their rooms clean and now I am doing spring cleaning.  I like the results, but am not excited about the work.  It so happens that our extended family who attend public school also have Spring Break this week.  To my pleasure, my children are spending 2 nights with their cousins and I am free to do my cleaning tasks uninterrupted.
Speaking of cleaning, home school has provided an excellent opportunity for me to teach my children life skills.  Our chore list has increased and the kids' willingness to help has increased as well. While I find that many tasks take me more time because of the kids' help, they are proud of themselves and the work does get done.  I've been told that these life skills can count as school credit.  Why not?  I haven't included chore hours in school yet, but it is something I am going to look into in the near future.  Kansas guidelines are so sketchy and there is much room for interpretation.  I have counted cooking in the school hours now that I think of it.  The kids LOVE cooking class.
There may be creative and fun things other families do over this week, but I think for us an unstructured week is almost as good as a trip somewhere... for now.  Happy Spring Break everyone!


Thought I'd add a cute little video.  Fishing would definitely be something to do on Spring Break!


No comments:

Post a Comment