Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Beautiful flexibility

I'm not talking about contortion, but the ability to adapt and change at a moment's notice.  Our schedule at LSA is set with time frames, but is fluid.  I love that aspect of homeschooling.  I'm learning to plan to not plan.  Our local home school group has a main scheduled event for the moth of October and then there have been new opportunities for speakers and museum exhibits and health class that opened up and we are taking advantage of each opportunity!  Well not our family personally, but the families within our group!  With sports opportunities for our older children, we don't have the option to go to a few of the events, but I'm happy to have the choice to go or not.  
For school, I have each subject divided into quarters and plan for 8 weeks of text book so that there is freedom to skip days of school for appointments or unexpected field trips.  We get in plenty of hours so I'm not concerned about that.  I do want to accomplish getting through our wonderful curriculum, though, so I tried to divide it out into daily chunks that are manageable and even doable if we end up having to double up on a few things.  Our quarter ends Friday so I told them when their assignments are done for the first quarter, they can have the rest of the week off.  Won't that be great?  Latin and one science will be difficult to get done early in, but not impossible!
I was gone a day last week and the kids wen their separate ways for that Friday and they still accomplished some school tasks.  My hubby and I go on annual trips during the school year and the kids can take school with them to gramdma and papa's house and do school there.  We can go on a road trip and they can take assignments with them or visit museums or historical sites and have that count as school.  I love that!  So do they!  

No comments:

Post a Comment